Yorkshire Times
A Voice of the Free Press
Wharfedale RUFC
5:00 PM 18th November 2023

Match Report: Wharfedale 31 Sheffield Tigers 17

Ed Williams has been reporting for the Yorkshire Times, part of the p.ublished group of online newspapers, on his local club, Wharfedale RUFC.

The two teams in third and fourth swapped places again as Wharfedale won the match and gained 5 points with Tigers going home pointless.

Adam Byron, Sheffield Tigers Head Coach) said after the game:
“It was a frustrating day for us. A couple of plays before half time where we could have scored made all the difference and then they scored just after half time. Lapses in concentration have cost us but we are still in a great position with all to play for leading up to Christmas.”

Wharfedale started brightly and soon had a penalty which Sam Gaudie converted. Dale carried on their superb defence and this showed after the visitors restart. Tigers won a lineout on Dale’s 10-metre line and the Dale tackling forced them back 25 metres. Good hands from the home side took the ball into the Sheffield 22 and Dale were battering at the try line. Eventually the defence broke with James Coulton crossing the whitewash. Gaudie converted.

Tigers were finding it difficult to make progress but did gain a penalty 25 metres out which Mark Ireland slotted.

A great break by Star Man, Sam Dickinson, pushed the visitors deep into their 22 and three phases later George Hedgley crashed over for a converted try. Yellow cards were exchanged but when Dale were a man down, they still played good rugby which led to Rob Baldwin barging over. Gaudies again converted. Tigers pressed in the dying minutes of the first half but their final drive was held up.

Wharfedale carried on their good work at the start of the second half and a break by Oliver Riddiough was followed up with Ben Markey getting Dale’s bonus point try.

After 62 minutes a good touch kick from a penalty at last gave the visitors some meaningful territory. A catch and drive from 5 metres led to Williams Archer touching down. Ireland added the extras from wide out to the left. Tigers got their second try with the last move of the game. They were made to work for it as they had a tap and go penalty from 10 metres out. 16 phases later Williams Bennet scored. Ireland again converted.

Speaking for Wharfedale, Standoff Sam Gaudie commented:
“Everyone was fighting for every tackle and that includes the bench lads when they came on. We were continually dangerous in attack, always creating space and then moving into it.”

Tries Coulton 9, Hedgley 21, Baldwin 33, Markey 41
Conversions Gaudie 10, 22, 34,42
Penalty Gaudie 2

Sheffield Tigers
Tries Archer 62, Bennet 80
Conversions Ireland 63, 80
Penalty Ireland 16

Star Man Sam Dickinson, Wharfedale

Half time Wharfedale 24 Sheffield Tigers 3
Attendance 595
Referee Michael Harris

photos by Ro Burridge