Yorkshire Times
A Voice of the North
Ryan Brookes
Sports Writer
9:58 PM 7th November 2021

Match Report: York City V Buxton Emirates FA Cup First Round

A record crowd of 3791 witnessed York City crash out of the Emirates FA Cup in an underpar performance, courtesy of a late Diego De Girolamo goal that sent Buxton through to the Second Round.
It was a very disappointing day for The Minstermen after they squandered their chances and hopes in the Emirates FA Cup.

Coming off the back of a 4-0 drubbing of Blyth Spartans, York City were back in action in the Emirates FA Cup with a tasty first round tie against high flying NPL side Buxton, who have recently been involved in a managerial crisis. York City manager Steve Watson put out a side which included the likes of veteran striker Clayton Donaldson and club captain Sean Newton. In the Buxton side, former City striker Diego De Girolamo started.
Straight from the off, Buxton threatened the City goal with an early shot blocked, the strong wind playing a huge part as Buxton continued to attack.

However, 23 minutes in and York were given a golden chance, Mackenzie Heaney's cross finding the head of Donaldson who's header was tipped over the crossbar by goalkeeper Theo Richardson.

Olly Dyson tried his luck 10 minutes later with a volley towards the bottom corner but his strike was driven just wide of the post.

Towards the end of the first half, the visitors took advantage of The Minstermen's poor defending, coming close multiple times. York goalkeeper Pete Jameson somehow kept the away side out with a string of fine saves, allowing the score to remain goalless at the interval.

Defender Sam Fielding should have claimed his first goal for the club to put York City 1-0 up in this cup tie, shortly after returning to the field, but his point-blank header was magnificently denied by the The Bucks 'keeper.

On the 60 minute mark, former City striker Diego De Girolamo had two opportunities in the space of a few minutes, firstly when he picked up the ball from long range, and had a shot on the half volley which drifted a distance over the crossbar. Then he was played through, but when faced with a 1 on 1 with Jameson, he couldn't convert and De Girolamo's attempted chip went wide of the post.

It was looking like one goal would win it and that goal went the way of Buxton and main man De Girolamo claimed it, sparking a bit of madness in the packed out away end. Clarke got the ball from a York clearance and played in the striker who turned and fired in a shot out of Jameson’s reach and made its way into the far corner to give Steve Cunningham’s side the advantage with 5 minutes of normal time left to play.

Two minutes later, the long throw weapon was used for York in search of an equaliser and Jason Gilchrist had found the back of the net for his first York City goal however referee Aaron Jackson had it chalked off for an alleged foul. Deep into added time, Sam Fielding had his second headed chance of the game but Buxton keeper Theo Richardson did well to keep it out and gathered it to confirm his clean sheet and Buxton’s FA Cup progression.

It was a very disappointing day for The Minstermen after they squandered their chances and hopes in the Emirates FA Cup. Manager Steve Watson admitted that his side were poor and mentioned that their performance,“just wasn’t good enough.”

City return to league action with two rare away games in the course of the next week. On Tuesday night, they travel down to Warwickshire where the side will face Leamington before making their way to the Tameside Stadium on Saturday where Curzon Ashton are the opponents.

York City: Jameson, Fielding, Brown, Wright, Newton ©, Heaney, Hopper, Dyson (Gilchrist 70'), McLaughlin, Willoughby (Beck 60'), Donaldson
Subs not used: Campbell, Haase, Cunningham, Dale, Lancaster
Goals: N/A
Yellow cards: N/A

Buxton: Richardson, Curley, Fox, Middleton, Granite ©, Meikle, Ward (Chambers 74'), Dawson, De Girolamo, Elliot (Hurst 88'), Clarke
Subs not used: Hinds, Dillingham, Houghton, Heath, Richardson
Goals: De Girolamo (85')
Yellow cards: De Girolamo (86’)

Attendance: 3791 (1050 away)
Referee: Aaron Jackson
Man of the Match: Pete Jameson