Yorkshire Times
A Voice of the North
Ryan Brookes
Sports Writer
2:22 PM 24th October 2021

Match Report: York City V Chester National League North

Mark Beck’s goal before the break secured York City three points and a clean sheet in the ‘Walled City Derby’ versus Chester!

Coming off the back of a cup win away at Morpeth, York City were back in action in a league rivalry against underperformers Chester. Steve Watson made one change to his starting lineup, Sam Fielding dropping out for returning Matty Brown. Also to mention, captain Sean Newton returned to the bench following a knee injury.
In a heavily anticipated match, the first chance was a goalmouth scramble for the home team but Chester eventually managed to clear it. An almost identical chance followed to be cleared yet again.

Chester's Dudley burst into the box with 25 minutes played and the ball was played across to Declan Weeks who smashed his shot wide of an open goal.

A shot from outside the box was taken by former York man Jack Redshaw but Pete Jameson was there to tip it out for a corner and prevent The Seals from taking the lead.

Five minutes before the break, Willoughby picked up the ball in his own half and played an exquisite crossfield pass to Michael Duckworth who crossed into the box, giving Mark Beck the chance to head into the Chester goal and give City the lead at the break.

A slow start to the second half from York City allowed George Glendon a low powerful strike for the visitors but it was parried away by the York 'keeper.

Mackenzie Heaney came close for The Minstermen, shortly after entering the field, trying his luck from the left side of the area with a driven effort that just missed the post. He came even closer from a free kick right on the edge of the box minutes later. Unfortunately for him, the Chester goalkeeper tipped it over with a cracking save.

Yet another chance came for City when Mark Beck laid the ball off to Harrison Hopper who had a first time shot from distance which Gray managed to catch but slipped through his hands, almost resulting in a 2-0 lead for the hosts.

York substitute Heaney clearly impacted the game since coming on, as another chance fell his way, allowing him to strike but Louis Gray had it covered and saved at the near post. The following corner connected with Matty Brown who headed down but the ball was cleared off the line by the Chester 'keeper.

York were able to see out the remainder of the game despite a controversial referee, picking up a big three points and a first clean sheet of the season. City still have two more league matches to play in the next seven days, Boston United hosting The Minstermen on Tuesday night and Blyth Spartans visiting the LNER Community Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Steve Watson spoke to the club after the 1-0 win over Chester: “The second half we looked a lot more solid.”

York City: Jameson, Duckworth (Newton 90+3), Wright, Brown ©, McLaughlin, Hopper, Woods, Dyson, Donaldson, Willoughby (Heaney 64'), Beck
Subs not used: Campbell, Haase, Lancaster
Goals: Beck (41')
Yellow cards: Hopper (20')

Chester: Gray, Grand, Weeks, Cowan, Hardy (Oyibo 64'), Glendon ©, Dudley, Lacey (Waring 81'), Williams, Askew, Redshaw (Stephenson 70')
Subs not used: Clark, Horsfield
Goals: N/A
Yellow cards: Lacey (60')

Attendance: 3154 (417 away)
Referee: Paul Cooper
Man of the Match: Pete Jameson