Yorkshire Times
A Voice of the North
4:00 AM 7th August 2021

Storm Fleur To Hit This Week

Last week, UK homeowners were rocked by Storm Evert, which brought torrential rain and heavy flooding to large parts of Southern England.

Now, Brits are braced for the upcoming Storm Fleur, which could cause 60mph winds to hit towards the end of the week, with residents in Wales and the South West of England most at risk.

Image by Prawny from Pixabay
Image by Prawny from Pixabay
According to personal finance experts at, if your home suffers from flood or storm damage and you want to make a claim on your home insurance policy, there are several steps you must take immediately, in order to make sure your claim is successful.

Salman Haqqi, personal finance expert at, said:
“If you know you’re in a high risk area such as Wales or the South West of England, it’s essential you check your home insurance policy now, to make sure you’re covered for flood and storm damage.

“In the last week alone we’ve seen a 10% increase in searches for home insurance deals. However, while most policies cover some level of flood damage as standard, you may need to seek specialist flood insurance if you want to be suitably covered.

“This is especially true if you live in an area that has been hit by floods before, so make sure to check out to compare the latest flood cover deals.

“If you know there’s a serious storm on the way in your area, there are several practical steps you can take to make sure any potential claim is successful. Firstly, it’s a good idea to take some pictures of your home as it is now, just in case you need the evidence if you need to make a claim.

“When you’re claiming for storm or flood damage on your home insurance, submitting a ‘before’ photo or video will help support your claim, as it’s proof of the state of your property before the damage hits.

“If your home is hit by flood damage in the next week, you should speak to your insurer as soon as possible. They may need you to take emergency steps to minimise the impact of the water, until they can process your claim and sort proper repairs.

“Remember, if you’re in rented accommodation, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to insure the building, not yours. So if you do suffer damage to your home thanks to the upcoming Storm Fleur, speak to them before making any kind of claim of your own.

“If you’re a homeowner who has contents-only cover, it’s worth remembering that damage to items in your home should be covered by your home insurance policy, but any damage to the property itself may not be included.”