Front PageBusinessArtsCarsLifestyleFamilyTravelSportsSciTechNatureFiction
Search  
search
date/time
Thu, 7:00AM
overcast clouds
12.5°C
SSE 8mph
Sunrise3:52AM
Sunset8:09PM
Alicia Newton
Sport Reporter
P.ublished 11th March 2026
sports

Hebburn Town FCs “Fantastic” Redevelopment Plans Approved By South Tyneside Council

Hedley Planning has secure planning approval to transform Hebburn FC. Photo: Blake Hopkinson
Hedley Planning has secure planning approval to transform Hebburn FC. Photo: Blake Hopkinson
Hebburn Town FC will soon undergo it’s ‘ambitious redevelopment plans’ after securing approval from South Tyneside Council.

The South Tyneside football club, who are known as The Hornets, were granted a £2 million government funding package last year and the recent council approval brings the club one step closer to its new chapter.

The decision to award the club its funding package was welcomed by: Alex Norris MP, the Minister for Local Growth; Kate Osborne, MP for Jarrow and Gateshead East; and the chief executive of Hebburn Town FC, Stephen Rutherford.

After the funding package was awarded Sean Hedley, the managing director of North East planning specialist Hedley Planning, next secured planning approval after he outlined how both the football club and the local community would benefit from redevelopment in his master plan.

On the redevelopments, Hedley said: “the transformative redevelopment of the club and fresh investment not only represents a significant milestone in the club’s sporting success and on-going growth, but also a socio-economic commitment to the people of Hebburn and the wider borough of South Tyneside.”

Their redevelopment plans involve a range of initiatives including, replacing their main pitch to a new FIFA Pro-certified artificial pitch and adding new floodlights and state-of-the-art 3G pitches to their second training pitch.

The plans also include building a new South Stand, which will contain modern changing rooms, as well as a multi-purpose function space which can be used for conference facilities and classrooms.

There are also talks of building office facilities, a gym and a club shop while the existing building will be converted into a centre for community meetings and events.

On the impact that these plans will have, Hedley said: “these fantastic plans pave the way to a new era of success for a club, which serves thousands of people in the local area and is woven into the fabric of the local community. This proposal is a collaboration with the Football Foundation, who will be delivering the 3G training pitch on site.”

Plans have also been put in place to increase the venue’s match day capacity as the Sportsy Bar below the current balcony area will be extended to allow a more ‘spacious and comfortable’ area for families whilst incorporating a dedicated stage area for performers.

Extra car parking space will also be created as there will be a new vehicular access point via South Drive alongside a new main pedestrian access focal point via Victoria Road.

The club will hope to use both of their funding and redevelopment plans to further improve on their social and economic impact for the local community as a study revealed that Hebburn FC generates in excess of £4.9 million in social value each year.

The club also supports six community programmes which are used by almost 10,000 local people alongside their ground and facilities which help the club provide football to over 180 adult players and 860 youth players.

Before the redevelopment plans have kicked off, Hebburn Town’s next match is away to Warrington Town this Saturday (14th March) before they return to the Trustmark Group Stadium to face Prescot Cables next Saturday (21st March).