Yorkshire Times
A Voice of the North
Ryan Brookes
Sports Writer
5:00 PM 20th November 2021

Match Report: York City 1-2 Kettering Town

Another lacklustre performance from York City ended in a 7th defeat at the hands of Kettering Town, who came away 2-1 winners.

Following a change at the helm, John Askey was the one who led his first York City team out for a National League North fixture versus 17th placed Kettering Town. City were hoping to record their first win in three, having not scored in any of them. Kettering’s previous three matches resulted in two losses and one win, conceding six goals in them.

The City lineup marked the long awaited return of Scott Barrow who made the bench, accompanied by new signing Kieran Wallace. On the Kettering side, danger man Kyle Perry was benched.

Barely 6 minutes had been played and Kettering had already broken through with a low strike from Connor Kennedy. Failing to get rid of a ball in the box, City couldn't defend a shot from the edge which was rifled home past Jameson to put the visitors 1-0 up.

The beginning of the 'Askey era' took another turn for the worst when Kettering made the most out of a counter attack. Yet again York showed poor defending with their inability to clear the ball before McDonagh doubled the Poppies lead with another low strike into the bottom corner.

An almost instantaneous reply came from The Minstermen though, being gifted with a penalty after an away player was called out for a handball. Captain Sean Newton stepped up and made no mistake in smashing his spot kick past the 'keeper and reducing Kettering's 2-0 advantage.

A great chance to equalise came for York just before the break. Mackenzie Heaney's free kick found an unmarked Matty Brown at the back post who agonisingly tapped it over the bar.

The match peaked just after 60 minutes for York City, when Akil Wright made his way past some Kettering players but couldn't beat Davies in a 1 on 1, blocking Wright's effort. City were in again, a matter of seconds later, through Kurt Willoughby but he couldn't get his shot off.

With the hosts still searching for the equaliser with 18 minutes left to play, Donaldson came even closer, cutting inside and trying his luck with a shot that beat the Poppies 'keeper but came back off the woodwork.

A similar chance came not long after at the other end of the pitch. Callum Powell beat Newton and then released a shot which looked to be going in but hit the inside of the post. It rebounded back out to Powell who still couldn't score, Mitch Hancox coming to the rescue for York, blocking his shot on the line.

Despite scoring a first goal in 3 weeks, a lack of desire from York City saw them fall to their 7th league defeat this campaign. John Askey couldn’t start his tenure with three points but a chance to record a first win since the 4-0 thrashing of Blyth Spartans, coincidentally comes against Blyth when The Minstermen look to kickstart their FA Trophy journey with a win next Saturday, and progress to the Third Round.

Interim manager John Askey was brutal with his words following the defeat. He admitted, “We’ve got to be a hell of a lot better.”

York City: Jameson, Senior, Brown, Newton ©, Hancox, Hopper (Beck 65’), Wright, McLaughlin, Heaney, Willoughby (Gilchrist 79’), Donaldson
Subs not used: Campbell, Barrow, Wallace
Goals: Newton (27’)
Yellow cards: N/A

Kettering Town: Davies, Barrett, Sharpe, O'Neil, Johnson, C.Smith, Powell (Crawford 90+1), Kennedy ©, McDonagh, Sherif, Neal
Subs not used: Stohrer, Ward, Ofosu, Perry
Goals: Kennedy (5’), McDonagh (26’)
Yellow cards: Powell (68’)

Attendance: 2616 (115 away)
Referee: Claudio Gavillucci
Man of the Match: Kurt Willoughby